The Early Days
The establishment of Erin’s Own grounds and complex at Caherlag could not have been a more fitting tribute to the men who kept our National games alive during the eighteen and nineteenth centuries.
It was here in Caherlag that much history had proceeded both past and present day administrators. The ancient poets of Carraig Na bhFear wrote prior to the seventeen hundreds about the game called “Goaling’“Caherlag’s men reign supreme" It is well to recall some lines from an old war cry of the ancient hung game in this parish.
‘Come on Caberlag
And don’ be in dread
For we are the men
In green and red’.
‘The area in modem times may not hold such importance at
indeed prominence (particuarly in church affairs) as it did in
bygone days, but the establishment of the GAA.
headquarters for our present day Parish of Glounthaune at
this location in Caherlag, has brought new life to the area. Of
course our games are much older than his period
(Eighteenth century), and nationally we even have actions
in our games going back to Cuchulainn.
From the parish point of view what is relevant that the
official organisation of the association in County Cork took place in Alderman’s premises at 27 Maylor Street in Cork 1887, and clubs from both Little Island and Knockraha were represented. There were 21 teams represented at this historic meeting and a draw was made at this meeting for the
first Cork County Championship.
Little Island incidentally were represented by Mr. Patrick Scott, the local teacher, who in fact was a native of Little Island and born in Clash in November 1842. Obviously, he had a great love for Gaelic Games and tried to instill this in his pupils, therefore one can assume that from at least 1860 his pupils played the national game.
more coming soon...